Pete earned his BS in Math in 1987 and his MA in Geography in 1991, both from UCSB. Starting with navigating/processing CZCS satellite images of chlorophyll data for Geography Professor Ray Smith in 1984, Pete has worked on a number of projects, including: Effect of Antarctic ozone hole on phytoplankton populations; Automatic cloud classification of satellite images; estimating latent heat flux over oceans; using artificial neural networks and satellite data to estimate air temperature and specific humidity over the oceans; effect of ocean eddies on surrounding biology; detecting aerosols from satellite IR data; processing satellite data for decision support tools; developing new precipitation estimate, FTIP; managing large and disparate data sets.
Pete started working for Computer System's Lab (CSL), an outgrowth of the Geography Department, which morphed into Center for Remote Sensing and Environmental Optics (CRSEO crazy-O) which became The Institute for Computational Earth System Science (ICESS pr: Isis) which recently merged with the Institute for Crustal Studies to form Earth Research Institute (ERI, pr: eerie). Now, finding himself back in the Geography Department, he wagers there must be something pithy and clever to say about that.
- The climate hazards infrared precipitation with stations—a new environmental record for monitoring extremes
- A global satellite assisted precipitation climatology
- The Centennial Trends Greater Horn of Africa precipitation dataset
- A quasi-global precipitation time series for drought monitoring
- On Bio-Optical Footprints Created by Mesoscale Eddies
- Siegel, D.A., D.B. Court, D.W. Menzies, P. Peterson, S. Maritorena and N.B. Nelson. "Satellite and in situ observations of the bio-optical signatures of two mesoscale eddies in the Sargasso Sea". Deep-Sea Research Part II, 55, 1218-1230. 2008.
- Jones, C., P. Peterson, and C. Gautier. "A New Method for Deriving Ocean Surface Specific Humidity and Air Temperature: an Artificial Neural Network Approach". J. Applied Meteorology, 38, 1229-1246. 1999.
- Gautier, C., P. Peterson, and C. Jones. "Ocean surface air temperature derived from multiple data sets and artificial neural networks". Geophys. Res. Letters, 25, 4217-4220. 1998.
- Gautier, C., C. Jones and P. Peterson. "Global heat and fresh water fluxes from multi-sensor data". Proceedings of PORSEC '98-Quingdao, Vol. 2. 1998.
- Gautier, C., P. Peterson, and C. Jones. "Variability of air-sea interaction processes over the Indian Ocean derived from satellite observations". J. Climate, 11, 1859-1873. 1998.
- Gautier, C., D. Jourdan and P. Peterson. "Oceanic Fresh Water Budget and Transport as Derived from Satellite Radiometric Data". Journal of Physical Oceanography, Vol 27, No. 3, pp 457-467. 1997.
- Gautier, C., C. Jones and P. Peterson. "Satellite Data Estimation of Ocean Latent Heat Flux: a Neural Network Approach". 13th Conference on Hydrology, American Meteorological Society. Long Beach, CA. 1997.
- Gautier, C., C. Jones and P. Peterson. "A Comparison of Ocean Surface Heat Fluxes from NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis, Surface Marine Data & Satellite Estimates". World Climate Research Program First International Conference on Reanalysis. Silver Spring, MD. 1997.
- Gautier, C., P. Peterson, and C. Jones. "Global estimation of freshwater fluxes and oceanic transport from satellite data". World Resources Review, 8, 505-514. 1996.
- Gautier, C., D. Jourdan and P. Peterson. "Comparison of Global Ocean Moisture Flux and Transport as Derived from Multi-Sensor Satellite and Ship Based Observations". 8th Conference on Satellite Meteorology and Oceanography, American Meteorological Society. Atlanta, Georgia. 1996.
- Peterson, P.J.M., R.C. Smith, K.W. Patterson, P.L. Jokiel. "A Biological Weighting Function for Phytoplankton Growth Inhibition". In: Ultraviolet Radiation and Coral Reefs. D. Gulko & P.L. Jokiel (eds.), HIMB Tech. Report #41.UNIHI-Sea Grant-CR-95-03. 53 – 61. 1995.
- Gautier, C. and P. Peterson. "Variability of the surface heat flux over the Indian ocean In association with the monsoon". International Conference on Monsoon Variability and Prediction, May 9-13, Trieste, Italy. 1994.
- Peterson, P., C. Gautier, and D. Lavallee. "The integrated percent likelihood overcast parameter: A new estimate of cloud coverage from satellite data". Proceedings of the ASPRS/ACSM 1993 Annual Convention & Exposition, editors A. J. Lewis and G. G. Kelly, Volume II, p. 272-282. 1993.